[RE-wrenches] ARCO Solar and Carrizo Plain

Dan Fink buckville at hughes.net
Mon Oct 31 20:00:55 PDT 2011

I got a bit of my start in the PV biz back then buying big lots of
Carrizo modules and distributing them to local hippies for cheap to
frame up DIY. (hey, I resemble that remark).

Everything Carrizo and ARCO that we got had the substrate seriously
browned...bad plastic formula that ARCO soon abandoned. Even the modules
that were not under concentrators got burned, at least all the ones that
I sold ("gold," "silver" and from many other distributors too.) The
"mud" modules were browned to burnt toast color, and the "bronze" not
much better. I got great pictures if anyone wants them.

There are still a few of these 4-module series arrays functioning in my
extended neighborhood, with homemade wooden or aluminum frames. They
still do about 75-150 watts per array, about the same as when folks
installed them....though there were many bad DIY and removal-mangled
connection terminals that have since crumbled into galvanic powder.

ARCO built the place in the early 80s because of the late 70s energy
crisis, to kick start their solar module manufacturing business. The US
Military was becoming a big solar customer then too. The Carrizo Corp
bought it in about 1990, gambling on energy prices continuing to soar,
but they were at about half the $/kWh sold to the utility to make it pay
off after (that) energy crisis eased off, and they scrapped it all to
pay their debts.

So I think it's more about $ per kWh than politics (isn't it all? ;-).
Think of how much PV you could put on 177 acres today....
And I just read now they are thinking solar steam there now (sigh).
Don't wanna even go into that this fine evening.....

Dan Fink
Executive Director;
Buckville Energy Consulting
Buckville Publications LLC
NABCEP / IREC / ISPQ accredited Continuing Education Providers
http://www.buckville.com/
info at buckville.com
970.672.4342 (voicemail)
970.373.1311 (fax)