[RE-wrenches] Wet locations: (was Push-in Wire Connectors)

William Miller william at millersolar.com
Fri Oct 21 07:51:11 PDT 2011

Friends:

I have had plan checkers insist I use wet rated wire on rooftops even
though the wire was in either liquid tight or EMT with raintight
connectors.  I did not need to dispute this because we had specified THHN
wire that is also rated THWN for wet locations.  This discussion makes me
think I should have contradicted the requirement because I am not sure wet
rated wire is required inside dry conduit.  I will be looking this up.

I feel that you should not let an AHJ impose a requirement that is not in
the code because then you become bound to the new stricture.  I realize
that an AHJ can impose stricter requirements, but I insist that it be in
writing, required in advance of the job in question and that it be required
universally.  Otherwise, it's anarchy.

William Miller

Miller Solar
Voice :805-438-5600