[RE-wrenches] intermittent battery problem

Brian Teitelbaum bteitelbaum at aeesolar.com
Tue Oct 11 17:05:52 PDT 2011

I once saw a brand new L16 battery that would read the proper voltage (6.3 VDC) and had good hydrometer readings, but the voltage would drop to zero when a load was applied. We were even able to do a dead short with a piece of #10 wire with only a faint spark visible upon connection, and then nothing.

The manufacturer replaced it (after much haggling and the usual “that’s not possible”) so I never found out for sure what caused it, but I suspected a fracture in one of the internal bus bars. Could be what you are seeing here since the voltage change is about 2V.

I second Mark’s suggestion to load test each battery

Brian Teitelbaum
AEE Solar