[RE-wrenches] Amp hr meters

Dan Fink buckville at hughes.net
Mon Oct 10 09:21:26 PDT 2011

Mac;

I'll give it a shot here.

1) Yes. EVERYTHING that might consume or produce energy needs to be
connected thru the shunt off the main negative battery terminal for the
amp-hour meter (watt-hour meter, these days) to work correctly;
	1a)  I am just getting familiar with the Outback Mate and Flexnet DC
stuff, as we mostly deal with much smaller systems and just use a
trimetric, BUT if you program the Mate correctly, it appears you can
tell it exactly what that functions of multiple shunts in the system
are.....as in, one shunt is wind power in, one is PV in, one is inverter
use, maybe one for DC loads, and the meter then knows what to tally as
gain and what as use. just not enough experience here with this
fancy-pants monitoring networking stuff. I like the trimeteric.

2) Don't know.

3) Your first step after installing an amp-hour (w-h) meter is to charge
the battery bank full and into float, so the meter learns an initial
"zero" and starts working correctly (counting down from full). And set
the charge controller(s) and the meter so that working together they
will trigger this meter "zero" setpoint. So if you install one on a
system with an old battery bank it will "learn" that setpoint for the
old batteries right away.
	3a) As far as how much these meters can actually "learn" I am
skeptical. But if you see big discrepancies -- large tallys of positive
amp-hours for example, or large negative readings when the batteries
show "full"....you can adjust the Peukert coefficient on the meter to be
more accurate for the aged battery bank. As far as how this affects the
"learning" ability, changes all that, I just don't know.

So, as far as 3a) be aware of it, and maybe tweak the meter settings if
amp-hour readings are consistantly above or below zero. Many off-grid
folks only dream of positive amp-hour numbers. LOL

Anyway, that's how I would approach it.

Dan Fink
Executive Director;
Buckville Energy Consulting
Buckville Publications LLC
NABCEP / IREC / ISPQ accredited Continuing Education Providers
http://www.buckville.com/
info at buckville.com
970.672.4342 (voicemail)
970.373.1311 (fax)