[RE-wrenches] Amp hr meters

mac Lewis maclewis1 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 06:44:40 PDT 2011

Hello wrenches,

I am a "greenie" and am curious to know more about amp hr meters.  I've gone
on quite a few service calls on existing systems in the area, and I've never
seen one on any of the systems around here.  With that being said, I know on
some of the new inverter/chargers incorporate these in their devices, Apollo
Inverters for example.  My questions are:

1.  Is the sole purpose to measure energy into and out of the batteries?
2.  On modern inverters such as the XW, is the SOC meter on the control
panel based on Amphrs or is it simply a voltmeter?
3.  Does an Amphr meter need to be calibrated to older batteries to account
for the increase in internal losses?  If so, how?

Thanks in advance.  I really appreciate tapping into this amazing knowledge
base.

--

Mac Lewis

*