[RE-wrenches] interrupting current calculations used to determine the interrupting of the AC equipment.

Glenn Burt glenn.burt at glbcc.com
Mon Oct 3 11:14:40 PDT 2011

Hi James,

Breakers/fuses/disconnects/load centers  have an Ampere Interrupt Current
(AIC) rating as well as voltage and rated trip current. This tells how much
of an arc might be created during a fault or de-energization under full
load.

When selecting an overcurrent protection device at the point of utility
backfeed, you should determine the available fault current to be
interrupted.

The utility should be able to provide this value for you to use. We
typically locate the AIC value of existing service equipment (often located
on a label inside a load center or disconnect), and use this as our minimum
value.

-Glenn