[RE-wrenches] Adding on to existing PV System

Jason Szumlanski Jason at fafcosolar.com
Thu Sep 29 13:32:57 PDT 2011

I understand what you are saying about the 40A breaker, but according to
690.64(B)(2), "...with panelboards connected in series, the rating of
the *first* overcurrent device connected *directly* to the output of the
inverters shall be used in the calculations for *all* busbars and
conductors." The way I have seen that interpreted is that the main
distribution panel needs to be rated to support 120% of the two inverter
circuits plus the main breaker, regardless of the fact that there is a
40A backfeed breaker in the main panel.

200+30+15 > 200 x 1.2

I know it doesn't make much sense, but that's the way it's been
interpreted around here. It stands to reason that this applies only to
the PV subpanel busbar and the conductors between the panels, and that
the calculation for those should be:

(30 + 15 + 40) / 1.2 = 70.83A required ampacity

...and the calculation for the main distribution panel should be:

(200 + 40) / 1.2 = 200A required ampacity

... but that's not what I am being told.

Jason Szumlanski

Fafco Solar