[RE-wrenches] Salt & Aluminum vs Galvy

Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Tue Sep 27 12:42:05 PDT 2011

Galvanized does not do very well in Hawaii near the water. I haven't
seen much powder coated Al, but anodized AL with SS hardware seems to
work about as good as anything I've seen. We see SS J boxes, fiberglass
boxes seem to break down in the UV after several years, but painting
with the right paint helps a lot. The last job I worked on there, we had
2 guys paint all exposed J-boxes and PVC conduit with a heavy duty oil
based (messy cleanup) paint. I'll let you know in 5 years how it all looks.
Also, be sure and get all your conduit clamps and unistrut in stainless.
More expensive, harder to find, and harder to cut, but you'll see the
difference in a couple of years for sure. Just a single washer that's
not SS will stand out like a sore thumb later.

Ray Walters