[RE-wrenches] battery cycle life, US Battery

Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Fri Sep 16 10:01:37 PDT 2011

The real point is that the Xantrex guy is correct from a scientific
stance. Experimental battery cycle life data shows that some golf cart
batteries (T105) do have more rated cycles to 80%DOD than the Trojan
L16. (750 vs about 600) A really crappy golf cart battery (some have
cycle life below 400 cycles) isn't as good as an L16, yes. You have to
base your decision, and your mouth, on test data for the batteries
considered. Also, you must always compare at 80% DOD, for an apples to
apples comparison. Its usually a clue if a manu doesn't publish their
cycle life data. Of course you must temper the golf cart vs L16 decision
with good paralleling technique.
We use golf cart batteries (never more than 4 strings), jump straight to
the HUPs for larger banks, and skip the L16s all together. They just
don't make sense when you look at the cost/ amp hr vs their lifespan.
The only time I could see using L16s, was if the battery bank
requirements were beyond 4 strings of golf cart batteries, and the
customer just could not afford the HUPs, or were going to sell the
property soon, and wouldn't appreciate their long term value.
I've spent a lot of time looking at cycle life data, comparing costs,
adding in maintenance and replacement labor, etc..
L16s are serious losers on a $/ kwh operating cost comparison, so this
is a chance to up sell the customer to HUPs (or equivalent) and make
both of you happier in the long run.

Ray Walters