[RE-wrenches] Inverter with no overload protection?

R Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Fri Sep 9 18:13:38 PDT 2011

I've long been an Exeltech fan, but they are the Pure bred race horses of inverters, beautiful wave form that exceeds Grid quality, but they are not a work horse.
I put a DC breaker on them at 80% of name plate continuous rating. You read right folks, I want that breaker to trip, before something internal goes "poof".
If people want starting surge, I sell them a 2nd inverter. The 80% breaker actually allows full load for maybe 10 secs, then trips, the customer calls, and I say "a coffee maker?! a Vacuum?! we didn't design for that....."
I reserve Exeltech for things like tube amplifiers, HiFI stereo, Recording studios, sensitive metering equipment, or one client that had a $50,000 photo quality line printer that was very finicky about its power; stuff like that.
No load to full load, Exeltech hold almost perfect waveform, but they are not as robust as the old mod sine transformer based inverters (whose waveforms can be ridiculous at load)

less than $50 sounds pretty cheap for the repair, I'd do that, and get the customer a bigger (cheaper) mod sine unit if her loads can handle it.
Somebody (like me) will buy the XP125 off you for their portable sound project.

R. Walters
ray at solarray.com
Solar Engineer