[RE-wrenches] unique battery bank design question

R Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Sat Sep 3 17:55:32 PDT 2011

Systems I tried years ago with Vanner equalizers, still ended up being unequal. I pulled them all years ago. It seems to be about as much a problem as not balancing your battery cables so each battery string has the same wire resistance,
I know that you couldn't imagine a few amps on 12" of 2/0 making a difference, but after 5 years the battery damage is very consistent and identifiable.
The only load I would consider tapping would be metering, or maybe a low milliamp relay. I wouldn't go over 100 mA, and even then I bet you would see some long term imbalance. I've seen imbalances due  to some batteries just being closer to a cold outside wall.

R. Walters
ray at solarray.com
Solar Engineer