[RE-wrenches] unique battery bank design question

Rob Shappell rob at nwes.com
Fri Sep 2 05:24:19 PDT 2011

I never, never recommend taps of any sort, but sometimes we have to satisfy
the needs of the customer. If any taps are done in any manner I would
recommend AT LEAST an annual reconfig of the taps.

To reduce and/or eliminate the imbalance of the 12 volt and 24 volt taps,
you could install a 12 volt charging source to the 12 volt tap, a 24 volt
charging source to the 24 volt tap and the 48 volt loads get a 48 volt
charging source. The array is still calculated the same, just distributed
different through different controllers. Is this bullet proof or perfect?
Nope, but neither are DC/DC converters and the system is much more efficient
too.

Rob Shappell