[RE-wrenches] Solmetric PVA-600

Gary Willett gary at icarussolarservices.com
Fri Aug 5 18:22:17 PDT 2011

KEITH:

"On the tech side- perhaps an iPad with the virtualization software
could remedy the tablet issue? Might need a unique connector or maybe go
wireless?"

The PVA600 requires a Solmetric USB dongle to communicate wirelessly
with the test instrument, and a second USB dongle to communicate
wirelessly with the remote temperature and irradiance sensors (if you
purchased that option).

I don't have an iPad, and am unfamiliar with its ports. Does it have at
least one USB? With a USB port, the iPad Windows virtualization software
might work. If I were you, I'd contact Solmetric Tech Support and see if
this is a supported (or at least functional) alternative to a Windows
netbook/notebook.

Gary Willett, PE
Gary at IcarusSolarServices.com

My sense is this tool, at this price point of $4k is a good investment
for various reasons.

1. Analytics- know right away what is right and what needs remedy.
2. Old systems- maintenance program- I always ponder how many circa late
1990's to today systems that are operating at or below their originally
projected performance. Its akin to fixing a leaky pipe.
3. Real world- objective data- you or the tech grabbing the data- it can
be brought back to the shop and verified- as opposed to taking some
measurements and writing them down on a piece of paper on the clipboard.

On the tech side- perhaps an iPad with the virtualization software could
remedy the tablet issue? Might need a unique connector or maybe go wireless?

Keith