[RE-wrenches] pole mounts

Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Wed Jul 27 15:48:46 PDT 2011

I had a customer ram a vehicle into a pole mounted tracker at about 10
mph. It bent the tilt actuator pretty good, but the 6" pole and footing
were unscathed. Once I found a pole mount listing at a 10 degree angle,
turns out the DIYers hadn't set it in concrete.
Another situation we had 6" poles about 12 ft out of the ground, and in
high winds they rocked back and forth a few inches. We added guy cables
and anchors, and all is well.
Biggest problem I've seen is not bringing the concrete up to ground
level. Dirt against the pipe long term will corrode the pipe
significantly right at the point of highest stress.

Ray