[RE-wrenches] how would you measure a partial short circuit

Bill Brooks billbrooks7 at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 1 10:04:56 PDT 2011

Nick,

If your voltage is low and there is no ground fault, either positive and
negative are connected mid string, bringing the voltage down, or a bunch of
modules never got connected in series. In either case, the Voc difference
between the two strings will create a significant current flow at open
circuit. That is because the two strings are no longer at open circuit, they
are connected together so they have a circuit. You will see significant
current flow in those two strings even though they are not connect to
anything else. This is a function of the IV curve. The higher voltage string
is generating power in the first quadrant (the one everyone sees on spec
sheets), and the lower voltage string is operating in the 4th quadrant-the
quadrant nobody wants to see. This is the region where you take the IV curve
from where it crosses the voltage access at Voc and proceed into the
negative current, positive voltage region. Therefore the power generated by
the higher voltage string is being absorbed in the lower voltage string. An
IV curve tracer would do a nice job of showing both of these curves and then
the composite curve is going to look very strange.

Bill.