[RE-wrenches] Battery interconnect cable length

penobscotsolar at midmaine.com penobscotsolar at midmaine.com
Mon Jun 6 13:14:34 PDT 2011

Hi Ben,
   We've done a lot of this type of system using Surrette KS series batts.
I haven't ever asked the question you did, but experience told me that
differing battery lengths are more important than some give credit for.
I  actually  use slightly longer (16" cables) and , in cases where we
run two rows of twelve cells (typical) we can use a 16" cable to span
the front row to back by using a right angle lug on either end of that
cable. It works, as we have many (over 200) battery based systems out
there, from Maine to Antigua), some for as many as 16 years, still
operating well. Of course, this also depends on the customers ability
to adequately equalize, water, keep terminals clean, etc. etc......just
one mans experience.....

Daryl DeJoy
NABCEP Certified PV installer
Penobscot Solar Design