[RE-wrenches] Main panel and ATS request

Gary Willett icarussolar at verizon.net
Sat May 14 04:08:56 PDT 2011

Allan :

Since you are planning to replace the main service panel, you might
consider the Generac GenReady panel that has a built-in 125A automatic
transfer switch (ATS).

http://www.generac.com/Residential/Transfer_Switches/Essential_Circuit/GenReady_Load_Center/

The upper portion of the panel are the breaker spaces for the
unprotected loads, and the lower portion has the spaces for the
protected loads.

You can get the GenReady with or without a service entrance rated main
service breaker. It's cost is comparable to the stand-alone ATS.

This panel is single phase 240/120, so if your backup source is 120V you
will need a suitably sized transformer.

Is the "backup" portion of your project a generator only, or a
combination of  batteries & generator?

Regards,

Gary Willett, PE

Icarus Engineering / Solar Services LLC
NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installer # 031310-246