[RE-wrenches] PV powered music festival

Starlight Solar, Larry Crutcher larry at starlightsolar.com
Thu Apr 28 09:55:00 PDT 2011

The length of the festival will play a major role in how much PV power you need. If it is only a couple days, you could start with a large, fully charged battery bank for day (night) 1 and then just bulk them up for the second day. If there is a resting period between events, the PV's will have time to fully recover the battery. A long event will be different as you must make all the power that is being consumed each day. A smaller PV array with a generator can work well. The generator will bulk the battery up in the AM and the PV array can be sized to carry the loads while finishing the battery charge.

Benn also mentioned powering the concession. A few years back a customer wanted to solar power a concession trailer. I determined that he used about 35kWh per day. There was no possible way to make that amount of power from PV's on the roof of a 20 foot trailer, never mind the space for storage batteries and power equipment.

I'm not trying to be negative here. I'm am very enthusiastic about replacing small, highly polluting fuel generators with renewable energy sources but the logic of such a project needs to be carefully considered. Don't let a "cool" idea cloud the reality.

Larry