[RE-wrenches] Sanyo problems

Jason Szumlanski Jason at fafcosolar.com
Sun Apr 3 09:01:38 PDT 2011

The current HIP-195DA3 datasheet is here:

http://us.sanyo.com/dynamic/product/Downloads/HIT%20Double%20195-1483134
.pdf

So it appears that the DA designation means bifacial module... You are
correct that not all HIP modules are bifacial. For example, the current
model numbers HIP-195BA20 and -195BA19 (aka HIT Power 195) are not
bifacial, but do have the "rear-side electrode" below the thin silicon
layer. This is what makes it a bit confusing if not familiar with the
modules.

The marketing name of HIT bifacials are "HIT Double." All bifacial part
numbers start with HIP, but all HIP part numbers are not bifacial
modules. Sanyo is not doing itself any favors by making the model number
designations so confusing.

Bottom line: I need to figure out if the HIT Doubles (bifacials) are
affected by these alleged problems. I would assume problems that affect
any HIT module would also affect the bifacials, so I may have partially
answered my own question.

Jason Szumlanski

Fafco Solar