[RE-wrenches] Testing new batteries

Dana dana at solarwork.com
Thu Mar 24 10:34:58 PDT 2011

HUP Solar One batteries recommend topping off the
electrolyte and doing an initial EQ cycle prior to use. We
always check SG and voltage/cell on arrival and to date
never had any discrepancy on either.

Additionally we unbolt all connections, polish with a copper
pipe wire brush all connecting surfaces [with a respirator
on] re-bolt, check voltage & SG, then coat with Vaseline all
connecting surfaces.

So, total we check volt per cell and SG twice. Considering
that this bank will be in place for 16-20 years it is a good
place to start. Do it once and do it correctly. This serves
as a good baseline.

I have mentioned this before but we only use a refractometer
for checking specific gravity anymore the accuracy is dead
on and not subject to sticking floats and curvature of the
electrolyte in the hydrometer.  Refractometers are $85-$100
each from a good plumbing wholesale house.

Dana Orzel

Great Solar Works, Inc

E - dana at solarwork.com

V - 970.626.5253

F - 970.626.4140

C - 970.209.4076

web - www.solarwork.com

"Responsible Technologies for Responsible People since 1988"

Do not ever believe anything, but seriously trust through
action.