[RE-wrenches] Value of PV system to a home

Kirpal Khalsa solarworks at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 21:33:24 PDT 2011

What I have been putting forth to our customers and potential customers, is
that a PV system when looked at like an appliance is simply equal to the
value of the energy it produces over a given period....for straight grid
tied systems I have used what I think is a conservative number of 20 years
and then I multiply that by today's energy costs.......so if a system is
installed in Oregon and electricity is $.09/kWh and the system is expected
to produce 4500kWh per year then that system would add 4500kWh x $.09 x 20
years = $8100 in value to their property.....in Oregon......
Certainly you could add average utility price increases over time to the
value of the energy produced, as well as reductions in system output
overtime as equipment degrades.....additionally if a party is buying a house
equipped with a PV system they may not want to calculate a full 20 years
into that formula if the system was installed years earlier.......I prefer
to use conservative numbers in my formula inputs, however the argument could
be made stating that the 20 year time span is too short and if the lifetime
is potentially double that the value of the system also doubles.....
In my mind an off grid system can be more directly tied to the cost of the
equipment as the grid is not an alternative to the power that is
supplied.....
Finally, we have never had a customer disagree with this basic approach,
however it still falls flat on its face if the customer is not planning on
moving or selling their property!

--
Sunny Regards,
Kirpal Khalsa