[RE-wrenches] Electromagnetic Pulse (EMP)

Drake drake.chamberlin at redwoodalliance.org
Sun Mar 20 11:49:34 PDT 2011

Hi Ray, Allan and All,

That is a very informative article.  Our utility, American Electric
Power (AEP) is taking steps to deal with the problem before it
hits.  This will include the ability to remotely disconnect areas of
the grid and reconnect them from other sources.

As I understand the issue, the EMP is caused by magnetic fields
streaming through our environment.  As a generator creates power when
a wire cuts through a magnetic field, the moving field will create
currents and voltages in conductors.  Long electrical power lines
will be strongly affected.

Also affected are the conductors in micro chips and other electronic
devices.  The tiny conductors in computers can be burned by small
electrical impulses, as evidenced by the fact that care must be taken
when working inside a computer to ground your hand on the frame.  A
potential, generated by walking on a nylon carpet and arcing from
your finger, can destroy your computer's processor.  In a similar
fashion, the conductors in a great number of electronic devices are
susceptible to damage by potentials resulting from rapidly moving
magnetic fields.  As micro chips are in so many products these days,
many things will not operate after a major EMP event, including the
electronic ignitions in automobiles.

In military context, an EMP may be generated in order to shut down a
society by producing a high altitude nuclear blast.  It is an effect
that has been studied at length.  We have not had any major,
naturally occurring EMP activity since the micro electronic age began.

My concern for the list is what the effect on PV systems will
be.  Having a spare inverter may not help, because it could be
damaged even though it is not connected.  But what about PV
modules?  They have very small conductors within them.  Could a
significant EMP produce enough potential to damage modules?  If this
were to become an issue, who would be liable for the
damage?  Lightning potential can be shunted to ground by proper
grounding procedures.  I'm not sure the same would be true for
potential generated inside the busses of a module by a pulsed magnetic field.

It would be good to get some definitive information about these issues.

Drake

Drake Chamberlin
Athens Electric
OH License 44810