[RE-wrenches] grounding the Enphase inverter

R Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Fri Mar 4 12:05:19 PST 2011

Excellent post Mark. We spend way too much time as an industry worrying about these mundane grounding (and over grounding) issues, when there are very little actual safety issues involved.
Meanwhile, we're missing the real safety problems. (recent commercial system fires??)
I can't wait for our industry to mature to the point that we treat grounding as other industries do. I don't see any technical reason (besides onerous NEC language) that would prevent us from safely grounding the Enphase inverters like any other permanently mounted AC appliance (#12 EGC on a 20A circuit, run with the conductors, forget about all the irreversible splices, ad nauseum)

I respect BIll's points, too, as he is laying down the actual law as currently written to keep us out of trouble with the AHJs. (Thanks BIll)
But, as with numerous other code issues over the years, the code needs to change to catch up with technology and the actual safety issues.
(remember when we had to ground battery based inverters with a 4/0 cable? ugh!)

Let's all work together to make micro-inverter grounding more sensible too.

R. Walters
ray at solarray.com
Solar Engineer