[RE-wrenches] module / panel

David Brearley david.brearley at solarprofessional.com
Tue Feb 8 16:15:38 PST 2011

It tells me their marketing people have never read the NEC‹no big surprise
there‹and maybe they are new to the PV industry.

But the term PV panel is also used so ubiquitously in place of the term PV
module‹both in common parlance and in the industry‹that it¹s probably going
to supersede the terms in the NEC over time. Since the NEC terms were
defined when modules were 50W each, one could make the case that a 250W
module bears some resemblance to a panel, as originally conceived.

One new company that does know the difference is Solyndra. Each cylinder in
Solyndra-speak is a module. They refer to the field-installable assembly is
a panel. Technically perfect use of the terms.

My personal pet peeve is not keeping power and energy straight. We can all
distinguish between between miles-per-hour and miles. So how come some
people in this industry can¹t keep kW and kWh straight? That smells fishy to
me, especially in ³technical sales² literature.

david.brearley at solarprofessional.com
Direct: 541.261.6545
Fax:  541.512.0343

Visit our Web site at solarprofessional.com

(Sample copy available for download at: solarprofessional.com/sample)