[RE-wrenches] Parallel wire runs to increase size

Starlight Solar, Larry Crutcher larry at starlightsolar.com
Wed Feb 2 11:55:38 PST 2011

Dan and others,
Thanks for the comments. The answer from Dan is what I was needing:
"For two parallel runs of different sized conductors, add the circular mil area for both conductors, then using a wire table (such as a pocket guide), find the gauge closest to the total CMA to get the AWG equivalent."

Perhaps I should have explained that the PV system voltage is under 50 volts and that all conductors are bonded with terminal blocks at both ends. The current will distribute itself across the two conductors.

Just a side note for those concerned with the NEC and RV wiring: After years of wire installations in nearly every recreational vehicle made, I can assure you that not one RV is in total compliance with NEC. Some of the DC wiring performed by manufacturers is downright dangerous with long cable runs or many branch circuits with no circuit protection at all. Very scary.

Larry