[RE-wrenches] Roofers installing solar = creative, new installation methods

Joel Davidson joel.davidson at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jan 28 18:55:21 PST 2011

Andrew,

Carter era contractors did not kneecap alternative energy industry in the 1970s, but that's not a wrenches subject.

Sure, everyone has stories about bad customers, GCs, subs, equipment, etc. Some of us are honest enough to admit that we have made a mistake or two. You don't have to work for or with people you don't like or buy equipment you don't like. But I don't know anyone in the building or energy industry who does not work with others.

Few contractors nowadays do all the trades in-house. Do you sub out structural engineering, surveying, roofing, arborist, concrete cutting, crane, etc.? Then what's wrong with you being a sub if you like the other guy's work and can control design and electrical installation or whatever you need to control? There are plenty of decent contractors in your service area who would like to have a good go-to PV company just as you like to have good go-to roofer. You know your design and electrical costs and what margin you need for that portion of your work. So what's the hassle?

Joel Davidson