[RE-wrenches] Roofers installing solar = creative, new installation methods

Keith Cronin electrichi01 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 28 09:57:17 PST 2011

Andrew

Perhaps another approach could be warranted? Joint venture relationships can
serve each party well, as long as their structured in a way that benefits the
companies involved.
Roofers are a good source of leads for us and visa versa. Its worked for me and
I know of others that also see value in this across the country.

The work we do, in the grid tied arena falls into two generally accepted
categories:
Mechanical work
Electrical work
Yes, some jurisdictions may say it is all electrical work and finding a
demarcation point is open to discussion, but this is how its being performed
across the globe now.

If we like it or not, its going to continue. Here in our market there are over
150 companies (that I can count) doing PV. When I started, there where about 6.
General contractors and the like. They need electrical contractors to perform
the electrical portion of the work. In many ways, many of these other types of
contracting companies are far better at lead generation, marketing and sales
than the top electrical contractors and here is why- historically, electrical
contractors have subordinated themselves to general contractors and are
"bidders". Even today, many of my electrical contractor competitors are ok, with
just doing the installation work for the general contractors or sales and
marketing companies, as they want to focus on doing the work only and don't have
the temperament for running a sales force.

Lastly, I believe you can offer other ancillary services to your customers,
increasing the value of the relationship that have higher margins than the
commoditized residential pv markets today.

So, I think we all need to do like Darwin mentioned and adapt to the market
conditions, so we can not just survive, but thrive in our gold rush. How about a
residential PPA for your customers to differentiate?

Aloha

Keith