[RE-wrenches] Xslent?

Exeltech exeltech at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 10 08:58:45 PST 2011

By the way, in answer to answer your original question, capacitors of proper value, when installed in a circuit containing inductive loads, are capable of allowing the circuit to attain a power factor of 1.0.  As part of our Underwriter's Laboratories testing for our grid-tied inverters, a test fixture is used that's capable of both inductive and capacitive reactance (it's part of the anti-islanding tests).  I've witnessed the power factor being adjusted from 0.7 leading and lagging to an absolute perfect 1.0000 (yes, four decimals).  It's all done by varying the value of capacitance in the circuit.  Thus, if one were to use lab-grade test equipment, and take the time needed to make such a precision adjustment, it's possible to achieve absolute unity in an inductive circuit by "tuning" it with a capacitive circuit.

Dan