[RE-wrenches] Fwd: Re: Landing into a sub-panel without a main service panel, just a main switch

Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Fri Dec 23 08:59:53 PST 2011

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Re: [RE-wrenches] Landing into a sub-panel without a main
service panel, just a main switch
Date: 	Fri, 23 Dec 2011 09:41:24 -0700
From: 	Ray Walters <ray at solarray.com>
To: 	JRQ <quackkcauq at yahoo.com>

HI Jeffrey;

Electricity certainly can flow in both directions on a conductor (unless
they've installed huge diodes). If there is a short circuit in the
smallest conductor feeding one of the subpanels (I'm guessing #6)  The
short circuit would be fed by up to 260 amps without tripping an OCPD
anywhere.  In this particular case 705.12 actually makes more sense than
when just applied to a bussbar.   Tapping the solar into the load side
makes a dangerous situation even worse.
You're right, it's not a problem if everything is operating normally,
but breakers don't do anything normally either.  It's when something bad
happens (like a rodent chewing through some wiring) that the breakers
and their ratings suddenly become the difference between a power outage
or a structure fire.
Allan Sindelar taught me the importance of exactly wording your permit
to limit the scope of work and your potential liability.
In this case, I would replace the 200A main with a larger load center
(as I said before) and purposely word the permit to not take
responsibility for any distribution wiring beyond the new load center.
A line side tap would do the same thing, but is the coward's way out.
If there is an electrical problem later, they could still blame the new
10 KW PV system on the roof.  Whether its making some electrical
improvements or reroofing, I always try to make things better when I add
a PV system.

Ray