[RE-wrenches] Outback Breaker Problem

Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Fri Dec 16 21:14:36 PST 2011

Hi Folks;

Anybody else having trouble with the small Outback DC breakers snapping
posts off?  I just took over a GTB job from another reputable GT solar
company, after they twisted off a post on an 80 amp breaker with #4
wire.  I know those are delicate breakers with low torque limits when
tightening, so I took over.   I dropped the breaker mounting plate, so
that I could work on the breakers, and then I saw how weak the posts
looked, just bending the #4 wires gently still cause another breaker
post to stress, and then break.  I worked as gently as I could, but I
could not even get the plate back in position without damage.
In my opinion, those breakers are suspect with #6 wire, and they just
can't handle #4 or larger, unless maybe it was a flex type.
The old medium body Heinemans  (125 amp) used to come in an 80 amp
variety, which was much sturdier.   Is there an adapter that would let
me use that type of breaker on the Flexware box?

Ray Walters