[RE-wrenches] Connecting charge controller to grid tie inverter

Larry Crutcher, Starlight Solar Power Systems larry at starlightsolar.com
Thu Oct 27 17:27:12 PDT 2011

Wrenches,

I'm thinking out loud here: Could the new XW MPPT 80 600 be tied to the PV input side of a grid tie inverter simultaneously? I'm looking for a simple way to add a small battery and inverter to an existing grid tie for backup. I imagine the MPPT circuits on each device would conflict.

Plan B would be a DC transfer switch for the PV array and run AC to the inverter/charger to keep the battery maintained. Transfer would be manual when the grid drops out unless someone knows of a 500Vdc automatic transfer switch.

I'd appreciate some input. Thanks.

Larry Crutcher
Starlight Solar Power Systems