[RE-wrenches] Re-shingling roof

benn kilburn benn at daystarsolar.ca
Tue Oct 11 12:03:49 PDT 2011

Hey Wrenches,
I know it has been discussed on this list, but i'm not having any luck finding any threads on how to deal with re-shingling an asphalt shingle roof with a PV array already on it.
I have a potential client who is asking (somewhat concerned) about this scenario and i'm looking into what suggestions i can offer.  Their roof is only 3-4 yrs old now.
Depending on the condition of the roof when the system is installed, is re-shingling around the array an option, since it will have been somewhat protected from the sun/rain/snow?  ... or is that just a bad idea and not something that should be suggested (re-shingling around the array)?
If anyone can recall the name or date of a thread on this topic, i'd appreciate being pointed in the right direction.  I'm sure i recall in one of these threads, WM talking about his custom(?) mounting method that allows for the array to be easily tilted up to allow access underneath.
Thanks,benn

DayStar Renewable Energy Inc. benn at daystarsolar.ca780-906-7807 HAVE A SUNNY DAY