[RE-wrenches] mechanical vs. electronic kwh meter

Kirk Herander kirk at vtsolar.com
Fri Aug 12 06:45:54 PDT 2011

Hello,

I am now in a debate with the metering dept. of a local utility. They don't
want a PV system to be energized and tested until a bidirectional electronic
meter is installed. They insist that an old plain Jane mechanical meter can
be damaged and is a safety concern if power is pushed through it (its
running backwards) to the grid. I have never heard of, witnessed, or been
told this by any utility or AHJ inspector until now. Have any of you ever?

I don't know the reason for their paranoia. I assume that many utility
districts don't to this day install bidirectional electronic meters. And
rely on the original mechanical meter to count backwards reliably and
safely.

Kirk Herander

VT Solar, LLC

dba Vermont Solar Engineering

NABCEPTM Certified installer Charter Member

NYSERDA-eligible Installer

VT RE Incentive Program Partner