[RE-wrenches] 690.4 (B) ???

Kirk Herander, VSE kirk at vtsolar.com
Sat Apr 9 18:10:09 PDT 2011

2008 NEC states that:

(B) Conductors of Different Systems. Photovoltaic
source circuits and photovoltaic output circuits shall not be
contained in the same raceway, cable tray, cable, outlet box,
junction box, or similar fitting as feeders or branch circuits
of other systems, unless the conductors of the different systems
are separated by a partition or are connected together.

Can anyone describe and give an example of what "connected together" means
to inverter PV circuits in the same conduit as a branch (load) circuit?

I have a single existing PVC conduit to a barn with an AC load subpanel. I
want to run the output conductors of an inverter combiner panel in the barn
through the same conduit to get to be main building. The fill / derating
calcs work to do this. The inspector says I have to run a new conduit for
the AC inverter combiner because the subpanel feeder and the combiner output
conductors are "not connected". But they are both connected to the main
building panel. Any insight will be appreciated. Thanks. I've also been told
that the NEC 2011 comments on 690.4 (B) clarify this. Can anyone comment?
Obviously I am not mixing DC and AC conductors.

Kirk Herander
Vermont Solar Engineering
802.863.1202
NABCEP(tm) Certified Solar Installer