[RE-wrenches] Sanyo reponse to Photon article here

Kirk Herander, VSE kirk at vtsolar.com
Sun Apr 3 10:57:21 PDT 2011

I decided to post the text of Sanyo's letter here as it lists specific
modules and timelines affected.

>>>March 3, 2011
>>>Dear Valued Customers:
>>>Subject: Photon article concerning SANYO solar modules in North America

>>>We are writing to inform you that PHOTON International Magazine will
>>>publish an article about SANYO modules in an upcoming issue. The article
>>>will most likely have some contents regarding an occurrence of short
>>>circuits caused by insulation degradation in some SANYO solar module
>>>products in North America.

>>>Please allow us to provide a brief outline of the situation for your
>>>reference. After receiving the first complaint about an issue with a
>>>panel in commercial PV systems from a customer in autumn 2009, SANYO
>>>conducted a thorough investigation in the United States, where the
>>>problem was reported. As a result of our investigation, we found a very
>>>limited number of a similar occurrence (less than 0.01%) in commercial PV
>>>systems using HIP-xxxBA2, HIP-xxxBA3, and HIP-xxxBA5 HIT solar modules
>>>which were produced from 2002 to 2008, and sold only in North America.

>>>It is found that the subject modules experienced insulation degradation
>>>primarily caused by a combination of module structure, variation in
>>>production, environment of installation site and wiring requirements and
>>>guidelines for PV systems in North America.
>>>SANYO has notified its immediate customers, and together SANYO conducted
>>>physical site evaluations and inspections. At the same time, SANYO is
>>>working with distributors to identify any remaining uninspected
>>>commercial systems and to take proactive measures. One of our measures to
>>>ensure the safety includes installing a new combiner box (monitoring
>>>system) which will detect any insulation failure and prevent short
>>>circuit in the PV system.

>>>We have not had any reports of similar issues from our customers with
>>>residential PV systems (systems incorporate a small or single phase
>>>inverter/inverters that operate with Ground Fault Detector Interrupters
>>>which threshold value is 1A or less) in North America and there have been
>>>no reports outside of North America on similar panels found in commercial
>>>PV or residential PV systems.

>>>Thank you for your understanding and continued patronage.
>>>Sincerely,
>>>Takashi "Charles" Hanasaki
>>>Division President

My note: No bifacial part numbers are mentioned. Apparently only the older
"lipped" frame style of standard panels is affected.

Kirk Herander
Vermont Solar Engineering
802.863.1202
NABCEP(tm) Certified Solar Installer