[RE-wrenches] Listed/Approved Battery Box Vent Fan

benn kilburn benn at daystarsolar.ca
Fri Feb 25 15:55:35 PST 2011

Good Afternoon Wrenches,
In recommending for a client, the materials and plans for constructing a battery box for a 48V, 2400Ah battery, it came to my attention that the only battery box vent fan that i am aware of on the market (the Zeypher) is not UL listed, let alone approved for use in Canada.  So now i am in search of such a product.
 My plans thus far are to have a well sealed box (? at least the upper portion of the box ?) with vent holes in the upper-most part of the box piped together and connecting to one outside exhaust vent.  I was planning on using (at least) two of the power vent fans at the top holes of the battery box, but after mentioning using this product to the inspector, he said that the vent fan would be required to bear the proper approval markings.  I am still trying to determine if there should be lower 'intake' vents as well.
If this power vent is not even listed, what are your feelings on using them in a permitted and inspected system?
Is anyone aware of an (approved) product or method for 'power' venting a battery box?
I have read some of the extensive threads here on battery boxes and have not found a definitive practice for venting a battery box.  I'd be happy for someone to point me in the right direction if i have missed something.  There seems to be quite a range of opinions on the need for providing a (lower) intake and (higher) exhaust vent.
Thanks,benn

DayStar Renewable Energy Inc. benn at daystarsolar.ca780-906-7807 HAVE A SUNNY DAY