[RE-wrenches] "Keep that there PV off my grid!"

Karl Jaeger kjaeger at lightwavesolar.com
Tue Feb 15 14:21:27 PST 2011

Greetings Esteemed Wrenches,

My company was recently tasked to engineer a PV project in Alabama. We sat down for a meeting with all of the local big-shots. They proceeded to let us know that we are not allowed to feed any excess PV power onto their grid, production cannot exceed demand. I am hoping that y'all might be able to steer me towards a contactor assembly or device that would detect reverse current flow, trigger the contactor, then open up the inverter AC output circuit. The service is 3-phase, 208 volt. The maximum current we intend to introduce is 70 amps, continuous.

Appreciate your advice,

Karl Jaeger
Operations Manager
LightWave Solar Electric