[RE-wrenches] Driving Point Impedance of the Point ofConnection of a Grid-tied PV System

Peter Parrish peter.parrish at calsolareng.com
Fri Dec 10 15:36:52 PST 2010

Hi Bill,

There are many places to take this measurement and we pick the terminal lugs
on the solar breaker for convenience. Another obvious point (as I mentioned)
is the L1-L2 terminals on the inverter output. A third would be the load
jaws of the meter.

>From my way of thinking,

(1) the service transformer, service wiring, meter, service disconnect
constitute one (active) impedance

(2) the distribution buss and its house loads constitute a second (passive)
impedance

(3) the inverter output circuit including AC wiring, AC disco and back-fed
breaker constitute the third impedance.

It is a combination (series-parallel) of all three that determine the
impedance seen from the inverter side.

Another reason for making the measurement at the back-fed breaker terminal
lugs, is that the voltage drop if the inverter output circuitry is not
included. If one is interested in the condition of the distribution panel
buss, and utility side of the system, this is where one wants to make the
measurement.

If you want to include the AC output wiring, then the L1-L2 terminals on the
inverter output are the best place to make the measurement.

I am glad to hear that dV~3V-ac is nominal for 4000 kW-ac and relatively new
200A service.

- Peter

Peter T. Parrish, Ph.D., President
California Solar Engineering, Inc.
820 Cynthia Ave., Los Angeles, CA 90065
CA Lic. 854779, NABCEP Cert. 031806-26
peter.parrish at calsolareng.com
Ph 323-258-8883, Mobile 323-839-6108, Fax 323-258-8885