[RE-wrenches] To insulate a battery bank

Warren Lauzon warren at wind-sun.com
Thu Dec 9 12:38:32 PST 2010

Insulation has one major positive effect, it stabilized the temperature of the battery bank. With enough insulation battery temperature will vary very little even with big swings in ambient. The one major downside is that in hot weather or a warm room, they cannot get rid of heat. It is semi-common to bury batteries in very cold climates and in very hot climates – but the same warning applies if a lot of internal heat is generated. In our experience a fan won’t do much to cool hot batteries.