[RE-wrenches] To insulate a battery bank

bob ellison reellison at gmail.com
Fri Dec 10 03:32:55 PST 2010

With the amount of lead in a battery bank it changes temperature very
slowly. Both gaining and losing heat is a very slow process.

I have never insulated battery banks, if in a cold area like here we size
them larger for the slower reaction time in the winter anyway. Part of the
reason being that I would bet that the acid would raise hell with the
insulation!

We regularly see battery banks that are 40 degrees or so it presents no
problem.

If the exhaust fan is running in a 70 degree building all it does is draw
the warm air over the top of the battery and not really warm them much
anyway, in an unheated building it will probably not make much difference.

The only way that I would put insulation in an unheated battery box is on
the outside of the plywood, away from the acid and gasses. I would also make
it removable in the summer.

  _____

No virus found in this message.