[RE-wrenches] Positive-ground question re Sunpower

boB Gudgel boB at midnitesolar.com
Fri Nov 19 17:45:50 PST 2010

On 11/19/2010 5:22 PM, Glenn Burt wrote:

> It has been my experience that if Sunpower modules are installed
> contrary to their manufacturer recommended positive ground
> configuration, that in a short time you will only be generating a few
> watts. I have seen this in more than one instance when the array was
> mis-wired and the negative was the grounded conductor.
>
> Fortunately reversing the wiring allows the static charge to bleed of
> in a couple of weeks, and the strings returned to their expected
> production values.
>
> I would recommend against trying to use them intentionally in this
> fashion.
>
> -Glenn

If you have Sunpower modules that are raised up in the air, what if you
put a conductive
plate on the back side of the PV module and tie that to positive ??
(like a Faraday shield)

Does that accomplish the same thing ?   If not, and if you take it
literally that the
positive must be attached to "earth ground", then I guess this would
keep Sun Power out
of the solar powered airplane (or space) business.

I  asked Sun Power this question at SPI a couple of years ago and nobody
could
give me any kind of answer.

boB