[RE-wrenches] Expected Life of SW Inverters

Hugh hugh at scoraigwind.co.uk
Wed Nov 3 15:53:21 PDT 2010

At 21:51 -0700 2/11/10, William Miller wrote:
>Friends:
>
>Speaking of life expectancy, has anyone had experience with SW
>inverters in a coastal environment?
>
>William Miller

Yes I installed one about 100 feet from the sea with plenty of surf
and it lasted a few months.  Parts were replaced and it lasted for
several years running hard in a different location, until it was idle
for some months due to alternative power from temporary huge diesels
on site.  When it was turned back on it failed due to the salt
attracting water to the parts that had not been replaced.  Keeping it
warm had delayed this failure for years.  Salt attract water but heat
evaporates it.

I'd seriously consider putting one in a good sized, well sealed room
close to the sea. Separate diesel and battery compartments.  Access
via dead lobby space, to minimise air changes to outside salty air in
stormy weather.

best
--
Hugh Piggott