[RE-wrenches] Ground Mount Screening

Bill Brooks billbrooks7 at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 22 10:38:00 PDT 2010

Mark,

Although these are tough issues, I don't see that the sky is falling or that
systems are too dangerous to install in residential applications.

That being said, I think we are still a ways off from safe PV systems. My
opinion is that some type of "smart PV modules" that can do ground-fault and
arc-fault detection will become the practical solution to safety issues
related to buildings and people. The critical things with module level
control is reliability, efficiency, and cost. It is too soon to broadly
require these technologies, but safety concerns will push the development.
It is not unlikely that the 2014 NEC will have requirements that the PV
industry has not widely adopted on its own.

The 2011 NEC already requires series arc fault detection, which is not
currently available nor are there published standards to evaluate them. It
is an interesting time with lots of changes currently underway.

Bill.