[RE-wrenches] UL and Grid-tied Battery Back Up Systems

R Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Thu Oct 7 11:18:03 PDT 2010

I take the generator concern one step further:
We had a "solar dealer" selling Y2K generator specials that included a Male to Male extension cord!
Just plug that bad boy into any outlet and fire the whole place (and the utility line) up.
I confiscated one of these cables, and show it to new inspectors and utility engineers.
You should see the pale, sick look on their faces when they realize the full danger of the things.
Then I tell them that most of us solar guys are the good guys, taking out dangerous crap like that, and that our solar equipment would never endanger their line men.
Personally, I couldn't sleep at night if there was even a decent chance that one of my systems might hurt someone.

R. Walters
ray at solarray.com
Solar Engineer