[RE-wrenches] On Demand Heaters for SDHW3

Bill Loesch solar1online at charter.net
Fri Sep 17 03:57:06 PDT 2010

Allan,

Everything you say is spot on. Scale is the _mortal_ enemy of all tankless water heaters. Hopefully you change the air cleaner on your vehicles more often in the dusty desert climate than you would in a less dusty climate. Same principle. You accept the need to change out the tank when if fills with scale, the tankless offers you the option to maintain rather than replace. If the water quality is that bad, your clothes washer and dishwasher and every hot water valve are also suffering the effects of scale and providing you with reduced appliance and fixture life.

If the maintenance chore is an issue, have you considered a water softener/water conditioner/etc. If the cost is an issue, descaling a tankless is only slightly more involved than circulating the descaling fluid in the coffee machine.

I like to look at the places in the world where others pay a premium for fuel and take their lead in energy related matters. Tankless is a clear winner using this criteria.

Respectfully,

Bill Loesch
Solar 1 - Saint Louis Solar