[RE-wrenches] Lightning protection (was Delta LA's)

R Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Wed Sep 15 07:01:03 PDT 2010

2 electrodes lets you off the hook for NEC, but not with the lightning hurling gods.
New Mexico code has actually dropped the 2 rod rule as well, you have to install a Ufer ground in all new construction there.
WIth dry rocky soil, your impedance with 2 rods can still be hundreds of Ohms.

The Amprobe's lowest range is .025  to .25 ohm. The lowest reading I've seen was .95 ohm on a commercial building in Hawaii.

Ray