[RE-wrenches] The Demise of WEEB

Steven Lawrence lawrencesteven at gmail.com
Mon Sep 13 17:17:38 PDT 2010

I ran into this problem last year, when NJCEP failed six of my systems for
using the WEEB clip against Sunpower's bulletin.  Needless to say I was a
bit surprised to be getting this information from NJ and not from Sunpower
themselves.  I called up Sunpower and talked to the guy who wrote the
bulletin (I can't recall his name unfortunately).  What he told me was that
it wasn't so much as a testing change; it was that UL didn't agree with
ETL's testing methods.  UL requires a grounding conductor for any device to
be UL467 listed;  ETL does not.  UL didn't like the fact that the
installation manual for Sunpower specified the WEEB clip and "threatened"
(his words, not mine) to remove the listing unless Sunpower removed the WEEB
language from their installation manual.  NJCEP was concerned about the
warranty, and was requesting a letter from Sunpower granting an exception in
this case.  Sunpower would not provide it until I informed them that the
rebate was assigned to them.  So if anyone has a warranty claim on Sunpower,
don't mention it was installed with the WEEBs (which I also agree is a
superior grounding method).

Steven Lawrence