[RE-wrenches] PV Modules Compatible with Concrete tile roofs

benn kilburn benn at daystarsolar.ca
Thu Sep 2 01:18:57 PDT 2010

Peter,I did a 15kW BIPV install on a home with GE Geko modules in two stages, first (7.7kW) in 2006, and second (7.33kW) in 2008.  The 2006 modules were 55 W and the 2008 mods were 66 W. I wasn't too impressed with the quality of the GE modules and would prefer not to use them again, which is fine because as you suspected, they no longer make them.I was (currently in limbo) working with a client on a 9kW system which i was going to use the Sunteck modules you mentioned, called SolarBlend.  Yes, they have a polycarbonate frame (no bonding).  Different?, yes. Clever idea?, maybe.  What is your hesitation regarding these frames?
Attention must be paid to the spacing of the horizontal battens that the modules rest on otherwise some cells may be partially covered.  Be sure that the roofer knows this and is diligent in spacing them properly.  Doesn't hurt to randomly check the spacing for yourself every few rows.
On a system follow up check, i noticed that some of the 2008 system modules were suffering from sagging frames!!!  The lower edge of some frames had sagged down somewhat, allowing various debris to get stuck btwn the frame and the glass.  Much of the debris was little bits and pieces of roofing tile and coniferous needles. Thanks for the reminder, I ended up getting tired of unanswered emails/phone calls trying to track someone down to answer for this issue.  Does anyone have contact info for a possible warranty claim from GE?
Also, when it came time to double check string voltages and fire up the system, wouldn't ya know it.... there was a ground fault!  And of course all the wiring is now completely concealed within the roof.  With some help from SMA support, we were able to determine an approximate location of the fault. Luckily it was close to the end of the last installed string.    Soooooo, i started removing tiles and modules to find the fault.  After pulling up only 7 or 8 modules (out of a possible 37) i found the problem.  A roofing nail for a concrete tile right thru the center of a conductor, and luckily it also went thru the bare bond wire strands as well.  Had it not contacted the bond wire.........the fault would not have been found!
question;  this is obviously a hazard, but can someone explain HOW is a 'hot' nail only touching a piece of wood a fire hazard.  Is it because of the heat produced from the loose 'connection' creates a fire hazard?  Is it possible that the nail could get hot enuf to ignite the wood?  is there potential for arcing? ...to what?
No experience with the Sharp product.
cheers,benn

DayStar Renewable Energy Inc. benn at daystarsolar.ca780-906-7807 HAVE A SUNNY DAY