[RE-wrenches] aluminum wire failure photos

R Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Sat Aug 21 11:06:52 PDT 2010

We don't often get to take picture, as the point of failure is hard to find, and the entire underground line is just abandoned and a new cable is installed.
Most failures I've seen (not actually seen) were on improperly installed runs, done by DIYers.
On the other hand, the majority of underground service in New Mexico is done with direct burial Aluminum, and if done correctly (buried deep enough, bedded in sand, no rocks), it's not so bad.
My regular suppliers don't even carry big copper, as the Al is so much cheaper, and comes in triplex, and 4 plex cables, but it's dry there.
In Hawaii, you see much more copper, so I think it all depends on the conditions, both above and below the ground.

R. Walters
ray at solarray.com
Solar Engineer