[RE-wrenches] PV GEC to the same point as the utility service GEC?

Jason Szrom jszrom at solaresystems.com
Mon Aug 23 06:41:23 PDT 2010

Matt,

Thanks for the reply. I should have clarified, but I am talking about a standard grid-tied, non-backup system.

I'm still not quite sure I have any solid code sections to back up my assumption that it is OK to tie the inverter GEC to the nearest steel, rather than running all the way back to the water main (where the utility service entrance GEC is tied).

If we have an inverter mounted on a roof, are you saying we can or cannot go to the closest building steel with the GEC? 690.47(C)(6) sounds like we have to go back to the water main. While 690.47(D) sounds like we are supposed to tie to the nearest building steel ("Grounding electrodes shall be installed... as close as practicable to the location of roof-mounted photovoltaic arrays").

Thanks for any clarifications,

Jason M. Szrom, PE
Engineer
Solar Energy Systems, LLC